Apple commits to 100% carbon zero supply chain by 2030
Apple has set out a plan to become carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle, over the next ten years.
The technology giant said it had also secured commitments from over 70 suppliers to use 100% renewable energy for Apple production — equivalent to nearly 8 gigawatts in commitments to power the manufacturing of its products. Once completed, it said, these commitments will avoid over 14.3 million metric tons of CO2e annually — the equivalent of taking more than 3 million cars off the road each year.
Apple chief executive Tim Cook said:“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share.
“The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world.”
In its 2020 Environmental Progress Report, Apple detailed its plans to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030 while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its comprehensive footprint.
Part of its plan, will include several initiatives, including; a ‘low carbon’ product design; using energy more efficiently; utilising renewable energy; innovations on the sorts of materials used; and carbon removal.
It will also use a recycling robot called “Dave” — which disassembles the iPhone to recover key materials such as rare earth magnets and tungsten while also enabling recovery of steel.
Lisa Jackson, vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives at Apple said: “We have a generational opportunity to help build a greener and more just economy, one where we develop whole new industries in the pursuit of giving the next generation a planet worth calling home.”
Entries for the 24th Supply Chain Excellence Awards, including the Sustainability Award and Technology Supply Chain Excellence Award, are open until 31 July. For more information, including how to enter and sponsorship opportunities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org